The Reading Today
• Daily Theme: Letting go of the celestial score-sheet, the meaning of true trust, and acting from a place of quiet faith rather than forced obligation.• Source Material: Mere Christianity ("A First Faint Gleam of Heaven")
My Reflection
Today’s passage deals with what I find a rather complex concept, although it is seemingly simple if Lewis is to be believed. To me, it is based on a repeating theme: this constant need for salvation. I acknowledge that there are things in my past which were regrettable, and I feel there is a genuine need for forgiveness. What I struggle with, however, is the feeling that I am directed to request almost daily forgiveness.
Perhaps I am just confused. What does Lewis mean when he says, “...the difficulty is to reach the point of recognising that all we have done and can do is nothing”? The constant ‘pull and the push’ from all this theology sometimes makes my head spin. I certainly do not expect that only my good points would be ‘counted’ while ignoring my bad ones.
When Lewis cites the notion of trust—arguing that one should follow advice if you really trust that person—I agree in principle. But it is the expectation of blind obedience that, once again, I struggle with.
In the end, all I can do is continue to live my life to the best of my ability, whilst living it in a way that would honour the values of my faith. People will always have opinions and voice them freely without solicitation. If my first faint glimpse of Heaven is to feel genuine, then it must come not only from my actions, but from my quiet belief and trust in the Divine.
(A quiet note on today's reading: After wrestling with this text, I suspect Lewis might actually be agreeing with my rejection of the "transactional" faith we discussed a few days ago. When he says we should not do things "in order to be saved," he is telling us to throw away the score-sheet. We are just meant to live well because that faint gleam of heaven is already inside us, not because we are desperately trying to earn it.)
Historical Footnote (24th September)
1952: Lewis meets Joy Gresham for the first time, over lunch at the Eastgate Hotel, Oxford.
Why This Matters
When theology becomes a dizzying push and pull of daily guilt and impossible standards, it loses its purpose. Letting go of the anxiety of earning salvation allows us to simply live our lives honouring our deepest values. True faith is not frantic obedience; it is a quiet, steady trust.
My Action for Today
Today, I will step away from the spinning complexities of theology. I will focus simply on living my day to the best of my ability, trusting that my quiet efforts to honour my values are entirely sufficient.
Reader Question
Do you ever feel overwhelmed by the constant "push and pull" of complex theology, or do you find it easier to simply focus on living a good life day by day?
No comments:
Post a Comment