The Reading Today
• Daily Theme: The balance between faith and good actions, avoiding theological extremes, and the analogy of the scissors.• Source Material: Mere Christianity ("Faith or Works")
My Reflection
In today’s excerpt, Lewis makes what I consider to be very sound examples and theories around how best to pursue the Christian life. The initial analogy of a pair of scissors perfectly illustrates the dilemma of separating faith from action. He postulates two sides of the argument, neither of which is ideal.
I felt a sense of vindication reading this, as yesterday I suspected Lewis might actually agree with my rejection of a 'transactional' faith. Today, he proves it by explicitly dismantling the nonsense that Heaven can somehow be bought with a £10,000 cheque to the Church. On the other hand, the opposite extreme—doing exactly what you want without any regard to Christian values simply because you possess 'faith'—makes equally little sense.
I frequently find myself stranded in some kind of theological no-man’s land between these two extremes. With both sides of the argument presenting undesirable concepts, it feels like being caught between the Devil and the deep blue sea. To me, Lewis is describing a spiritual tennis match where the believer is constantly bounced between two rigid ideas.
It seems obvious that a moderate approach is what is truly needed: a continuation of 'good works' alongside a continuation of quiet faith. Relying solely on a single extreme approach is unworkable. Watching how one is supposed to navigate these complex theological concepts is yet another example of how a person can easily be distracted from a simple, quiet life of faith and burdened with worries best left to those who actually enjoy arguing over doctrine.
Today, I find myself happily walking away from these ivory-tower debates. I would much rather focus on the common man’s experience: living an honest life, supporting those around us, and actually enjoying the human experience without the constant anxiety of a celestial score-sheet.
Historical Footnote (25th September)
1929: Lewis's father, Albert, dies at age sixty-six.
Why This Matters
When faith becomes a rigid, intellectual tennis match, it loses its heart. Stepping away from extreme theological debates allows us to focus our energy on what actually matters: living a grounded, honest life and quietly honouring our values in the everyday world.
My Action for Today
Today, I will refuse to participate in the spiritual tennis match. I will leave the ivory-tower debates to the academics and focus entirely on the simple, practical work of being a good neighbour and living an honest life.
Reader Question
Do you ever feel exhausted by extreme theological debates, and find yourself simply wanting to retreat to a quiet, practical, everyday faith?
No comments:
Post a Comment