The Reading Today
• Daily Theme: The true definition of temperance, abstention versus moderation, and intemperance in everyday hobbies.
• Source Material: Mere Christianity
• Source Material: Mere Christianity
My Reflection
Today’s excerpt examines the concept of temperance. Writing from a 2026 perspective, this word seems to have fallen completely out of fashion. It immediately brings to mind images of stern Victorian groups from the Temperance movement, solely focused on the total abstention from alcohol.
I grew up on licensed premises as a child, so I know first-hand how alcohol can affect people. From a child’s perspective, I just assumed I was surrounded by very jolly people. I never actually saw anything which I would consider negative, and I strongly suspect that people simply had a different relationship to alcohol in those times.
There always seems to be a long list of things that Christianity prohibits; in fact, most religions hold attitudes which are often at odds with those from a secular background. However, today Lewis brilliantly expands the concept of temperance far beyond the doors of the local pub. He broadens it to include everyday ‘vices’, such as a man's obsession with a motor-bicycle, or a woman who loves clothes, bridge, or her dog too much.
All these examples seem firmly grounded in the gender stereotypes of his era—that is not a criticism, merely an observation of the time he was writing in. But his underlying point is incredibly sharp: just because an obsession does not make you fall down in the middle of the road does not mean it is healthy. Although, regarding his final example of loving a pet too much, I must confess that I personally find canine companionship preferable to that of a human on most occasions!
Historical Footnote (16th September)
1954: English Literature in the Sixteenth Century Excluding Drama is published by Clarendon Press, Oxford.
Why This Matters
My Action for Today
Today, I will take a quiet inventory of my own hobbies and interests to ensure they remain a healthy part of my life, rather than something that entirely consumes my focus and time.
No comments:
Post a Comment