Tuesday, 15 September 2026

Day 55: Perfection-Fatigue, Charity Scams, and Being Wise as Serpents (15th September)

 



The Reading Today

Daily Theme: Prudence as a virtue, investigating charity, and maintaining a grown-up's head alongside a child's heart.
Source Material: Mere Christianity

My Reflection

Today’s excerpt, if I am entirely honest, creates a sense of ‘perfection-fatigue’ in me. Lewis lists ways of being which require continual evaluation and improvement. It sometimes feels as though we are not permitted to simply live as who we are—trying to quietly provide for our families, care for ourselves, and support others—without constantly scrutinising every single motive and action. Of course, we should all strive to improve ourselves; it is natural to want to see our lives moving in a positive direction. But at what mental cost, if every one of Lewis’s strict directives must be constantly adopted?

However, on the specific subject of charity and prudence, Lewis and I find ourselves on the exact same page. He rightly points out that giving to a cause does not excuse us from investigating its validity. When Lewis wrote this, he could never have conceived of platforms like GoFundMe or JustGiving, nor the sheer plethora of online charity appeals we face today. I recently watched a deeply disturbing documentary where a parent deliberately manufactured their child’s illness in order to fraudulently obtain large sums in donations. The money was spent on unnecessary frivolities, all at great physical harm to the child. Lewis could never have imagined the depths to which some people would sink to fool the public into handing over their money.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the constant appeals for money between television programmes can be overwhelming. Because of this, I keep one single charity dear to my heart: The Salvation Army. I support them not just for their vital work in addressing the plight of homelessness in the UK, but for deeply personal reasons. They were instrumental in helping me find and contact my father’s family, which ultimately led to a rich and deeply loving relationship between myself and my late step-mother.

My situation is not unique, and because of their transparency, I feel entirely confident that my donation is going toward helping others in similar crises. My pragmatic advice would be to always give to charity, provided you can genuinely afford it, and only when you are confident they are legitimate (always check with the UK Charity Commission).

I think this approach perfectly fits the biblical concept Lewis highlights today: we should be as harmless as doves, but as wise as serpents.

Historical Footnote (15th September)

  • 1952: The Voyage of the "Dawn Treader" (the third volume written in The Chronicles of Narnia) is published by Geoffrey Bles, London.


Why This Matters

Having a good heart does not require us to abandon our common sense. In a digital age rife with sophisticated scams and endless emotional appeals, prudence is the necessary shield that protects our charitable instincts from being exploited.

My Action for Today

Today, I will reject the heavy burden of "perfection-fatigue" and simply rest in the confidence that my chosen, pragmatic approach to charity is both compassionate and sensible.

Reader Question

Have you ever experienced ‘perfection-fatigue’ when reading philosophical or spiritual texts that demand constant self-scrutiny?

No comments:

Post a Comment