The Reading Today
• Daily Theme: The elevation of mercy, the danger of superficial kindness, and the exhausting scrutiny of our motivations.
• Source Material: The Problem of Pain
• Source Material: The Problem of Pain
My Reflection
Today’s excerpt delves into the concept of mercy and how Lewis feels it ‘trumps’ all other virtues. He also seems to strongly object to the word ‘Humanitarianism’, deeming it a covert form of cruelty.
I must confess, I often find myself at odds with Lewis on his language and his relentless need to dissect human behaviour. As far as I am concerned, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck... then it is a duck. People’s kindness should be taken at face value. Actions speak louder than words, and this has always been my primary yardstick when evaluating people’s motivations.
This continual scrutinisation of one’s underlying motives is utterly exhausting. Honestly, it feels like a "Screwtapian" device designed to make us constantly doubt our own goodness. Whenever I dive into philosophy, I hope to find clear answers from those deemed to be wise, but reading Lewis in his dense academic mode often leaves me feeling as though I should be relegated to a remedial class!
Lewis warns that we shouldn't pat ourselves on the back just because we "wouldn't hurt a fly" while sitting comfortably. He insists that true kindness requires a tangible "sacrifice." But to summarise my own scrambled egg logic, I find myself disagreeing with his insistence that mercy must always be costly or painful.
Instead, I am reminded of Portia’s brilliant speech from Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice, where she implores Shylock: “The quality of mercy is not strained, it droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven.” She makes my point exactly. You cannot forcefully strain or manufacture true mercy. It should flow naturally. While Lewis argues for sacrifice, Portia reminds us that sometimes kindness is just a natural, unforced grace. I firmly believe that we do not need to constantly pick apart every kind act in an attempt to find ourselves wanting. Sometimes, gentle rain is just gentle rain.
Why This Matters
While it is healthy to have some self-awareness about our motivations, constantly interrogating every good deed we do leads to spiritual exhaustion. Taking natural kindness at face value allows us to appreciate the good in the world without overcomplicating it.
My Action for Today
Reader Question
Reader Question
Do you think true kindness always requires a personal sacrifice, or is natural, effortless kindness just as valuable?
No comments:
Post a Comment