The Reading Today
• Source Material: Mere Christianity
My Reflection
Today’s passage builds directly on yesterday's reading, diving deeper into the famous phrase "hate the sin, but love the sinner."
What struck me most about today's excerpt is Lewis's point about how instinctively we already apply this rule—to ourselves. When I make a mistake, act selfishly, or lose my temper, I might feel deeply ashamed of my behaviour, but I don't suddenly decide that I hate myself as a human being. I automatically separate who I am from what I did.
Yet, when it comes to other people, doing this feels like a constant moral battle. It is so much easier to collapse a person's entire character down to their worst actions or opinions.
Lewis challenges us to apply the exact same instinct we use for ourselves to everyone else: loathing the cruelty or wrongdoing, while still holding out hope for the person underneath to be healed and changed..
Why This Matters
My Action for Today
Today, when I catch myself writing someone off because of a mistake or an unpleasant trait, I will pause and ask: "How would I want my own character judged if I had made that same mistake?"
No comments:
Post a Comment