Sunday, 13 September 2026

Day 53: On Giving, Locking Horns with Lewis, and the Limits of Charity (13th September)

 



The Reading Today

Daily Theme: The obligation of charity, giving until it "pinches," and overcoming the fear of financial insecurity.
Source Material: Mere Christianity

My Reflection

Today feels like a lecture from Lewis rather than his usual gentle, convincing arguments. Perhaps it feels this way because the text hits home, and I feel that I am exactly the kind of person he is talking about.

Initially, Lewis discusses the idea of a utopian society where there is no poverty, noting that some argue we should work towards producing this society rather than focusing on current people in need. He rightly points out that we must do both; working toward a better society does not excuse us from giving in the meantime.

Where Lewis and I lock horns today is on the extent of that giving. Lewis encourages us to give so much that it actively impacts our own financial situation, stating the only safe rule is to "give more than we can spare," even to the point of "endangering your own position."

I find this an untenable situation. Just a few days ago, I mentioned the phenomenon of charity-fatigue and recalled the story of an elderly woman who gave so much to various appeals that she ended up bankrupt and in need of charity herself. The idea that one should spend more than one can afford seems frankly nonsensical. While driving yourself to the brink of ruin might be viewed by some as the height of philanthropy, I seriously doubt it is sustainable in the long term.

Personally, I maintain a regular monthly donation to a chosen cause, and I donate to other charitable causes as and when I am able. My philosophy is simple: give where you can, when you can, and ignore what other people think of you. Lewis seems to suggest that if our charity does not hamper our lifestyle, it is too small. But I cannot help feeling that sensible, sustainable giving over a lifetime achieves far more good than burning through your resources until you become the very person needing rescue.


Why This Matters

There is a fine line between overcoming our selfish fear of insecurity and acting with reckless abandon. Sustainable giving allows us to help consistently over a lifetime, whereas giving until we are destitute ultimately just adds our own name to the list of people needing support.

My Action for Today

Today, I will be content with my chosen method of giving. I will honour my regular monthly donation and resist any external guilt trips suggesting that I am obligated to give until it hurts.

Reader Question

Do you agree with Lewis that our charitable giving should actively "pinch" and restrict our lifestyle, or do you favour a more pragmatic, sustainable approach?

No comments:

Post a Comment