The Reading Today
• Daily Theme: Frustration with dense texts, learning for its own sake, and intellectual honesty.
• Source Material: "Learning in War-Time" (The Weight of Glory)
• Source Material: "Learning in War-Time" (The Weight of Glory)
My Reflection
When I began this project to spend a year with C.S. Lewis, I was full of confidence. I genuinely felt a deep connection between myself and his philosophies, believing his writings spoke to me in a way no other author did.
Today’s passage, however, elicited feelings of total incomprehension. It felt like an absolute ‘word salad’. I found it highly ironic that a passage discussing the concept of learning was the very thing that made me feel so uneducated. I have no problem looking up new words—the Oxford English Dictionary has always been my reliable ‘go-to’—but today, the OED was of little help. I re-read the passage over and over, hoping for some revelatory insight, but to no avail. Previously, I noted that Lewis often leaves me with more questions than answers; today, he left me with neither, which I found incredibly frustrating.
I fell at the very first hurdle. Lewis writes that a man's upbringing and talents are a "tolerable index of his vocation." Having stepped back and wrestled with it, I now see he simply means a reasonable indicator. If you have a talent or a passion for learning, that is a reasonable sign that learning is exactly what you are meant to be doing with your life.
Then came the Francis Bacon quote about offering "the author of truth the unclean sacrifice of a lie." This was completely lost on me at first glance. What Lewis is actually arguing here is surprisingly profound: if you are pursuing knowledge, you must be honest. If you twist your research, your art, or your learning to artificially force a "holy" or religious conclusion, you are lying. You are offering God (the author of truth) a lie, which is an "unclean sacrifice."
I am deeply passionate about learning. It is something I undertake every single day, whether technical, philosophical, or creative. Once the fog of Lewis's archaic academic language lifted, I realised that he is actually validating this exact passion. He is saying we do not need to make our intellectual pursuits overtly religious to give them value. We can pursue knowledge and beauty simply for their own sake, and God makes no appetite in vain.
Historical Footnote (7th September)
1953: The Silver Chair (the fourth book written in The Chronicles of Narnia) is published by Geoffrey Bles, London.
When I began this project to spend a year with C.S. Lewis, I was full of confidence. I genuinely felt a deep connection between myself and his philosophies, believing his writings spoke to me in a way no other author did.
Today’s passage, however, elicited feelings of total incomprehension. It felt like an absolute ‘word salad’. I found it highly ironic that a passage discussing the concept of learning was the very thing that made me feel so uneducated. I have no problem looking up new words—the Oxford English Dictionary has always been my reliable ‘go-to’—but today, the OED was of little help. I re-read the passage over and over, hoping for some revelatory insight, but to no avail. Previously, I noted that Lewis often leaves me with more questions than answers; today, he left me with neither, which I found incredibly frustrating.
I fell at the very first hurdle. Lewis writes that a man's upbringing and talents are a "tolerable index of his vocation." Having stepped back and wrestled with it, I now see he simply means a reasonable indicator. If you have a talent or a passion for learning, that is a reasonable sign that learning is exactly what you are meant to be doing with your life.
Then came the Francis Bacon quote about offering "the author of truth the unclean sacrifice of a lie." This was completely lost on me at first glance. What Lewis is actually arguing here is surprisingly profound: if you are pursuing knowledge, you must be honest. If you twist your research, your art, or your learning to artificially force a "holy" or religious conclusion, you are lying. You are offering God (the author of truth) a lie, which is an "unclean sacrifice."
I am deeply passionate about learning. It is something I undertake every single day, whether technical, philosophical, or creative. Once the fog of Lewis's archaic academic language lifted, I realised that he is actually validating this exact passion. He is saying we do not need to make our intellectual pursuits overtly religious to give them value. We can pursue knowledge and beauty simply for their own sake, and God makes no appetite in vain.
Historical Footnote (7th September)
1953: The Silver Chair (the fourth book written in The Chronicles of Narnia) is published by Geoffrey Bles, London.Why This Matters
Reading dense philosophical texts is not a linear journey of constant enlightenment. Sometimes it is deeply frustrating. Acknowledging that frustration is a vital part of the learning process. Stripping away the complex academic language often reveals a surprisingly simple and encouraging truth.
My Action for Today
Today, I will not let dense language defeat my love of learning. I will continue my daily technical, philosophical, and creative pursuits for their own sake, trusting that the appetite for knowledge is a worthy vocation in itself.
Today, I will not let dense language defeat my love of learning. I will continue my daily technical, philosophical, and creative pursuits for their own sake, trusting that the appetite for knowledge is a worthy vocation in itself.
Reader Question
Have you ever hit a wall of absolute incomprehension with a favourite author, and how did you push past the frustration?
No comments:
Post a Comment