Sunday, 6 September 2026

Day 46: The Simple Life, the Infinite Claim, and the Paradox of Faith (6th September)

 



The Reading Today

Daily Theme: The paradox of God's infinite claim and the continuation of ordinary, natural human life.
Source Material:  "Learning in War-Time" (The Weight of Glory)

My Reflection

Today, Lewis continues to confound me. The opening sentences of today’s passage seem to directly contradict each other. Lewis speaks in absolute terms, stating that one’s religion must occupy the whole of one’s life, leaving no room for a "middle way" between the claims of God and the claims of culture.

I find this kind of theological absolute extremely exhausting and restrictive. It immediately makes me question my own validity. If faith must occupy the whole of my life, does being a Christian mean I need to be in a state of constant, conscious prayer? Must I be continually, verbally offering every single action to God? Under the microscope of Lewis’s relentless academic intensity, I sometimes wonder if I have any faith at all. I am a simple man, living a simple life, doing simple things, bothering no-one. What kind of Christian does that make me?

Lewis leaves me with a profound sense of inadequacy until he introduces the solution to his own paradox. He points out that Christianity does not exclude ordinary human activities. Christ went to wedding parties; St. Paul told people to simply get on with their daily jobs; and under the Christian banner, the arts and learning flourish.

Lewis is not demanding that we replace our natural lives with a rigidly "holy" one. When we are simply going about a quiet day, working a standard job, or enjoying a meal with friends, we do not need to be actively reciting prayers. The faith is not in the constant thinking about God; it is the foundation underneath the activity. The act of living a quiet, decent life becomes the offering itself.

As Lewis concludes:

"Christianity does not simply replace our natural life and substitute a new one; it is rather a new organisation which exploits, to its own supernatural ends, these natural materials."
My simple life is the natural material. I do not need to overcomplicate it.

Historical Footnote (6th September)

  • 1954: The Horse and His Boy (the fifth book written in The Chronicles of Narnia) is published by Geoffrey Bles, London.


Why This Matters

When we read brilliant but intense theologians, it is easy to feel that our quiet, unassuming lives are spiritually inadequate. Recognising that ordinary work, creative hobbies, and simple living are exactly what we are meant to be doing frees us from the exhausting burden of performative religion.

My Action for Today

Today, I will stop measuring my quiet life against impossible theological absolutes. I will go about my simple, daily tasks and trust that living decently is offering enough.

Reader Question

Do you ever feel overwhelmed by the demands of religious texts, wondering if a simple, quiet life is truly enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment