Saturday, 19 September 2026

Day 59: The Impossible Checklist, Quitting Smoking, and Real Temptation (19th September)

 



The Reading Today

Daily Theme: The reality of temptation, acknowledging our pride, and discovering our true flaws by trying to be good.
Source Material: Mere Christianity

My Reflection

Today’s excerpt began with another profound “Oh no, here we go…” moment for me. Lewis asserts right out of the gate that we are proud. It is a jarring statement in a modern world where we are continually encouraged to take pride in ourselves and our accomplishments.

I did, however, laugh in recognition at the line, “No man knows how bad he is till he has tried very hard to be good.” This particular sentence stood out to me when I previously read Mere Christianity years ago, and its truth remains undeniable. Yet, I must admit I struggle with—if not suffer outright anger and irritation at—the way religion often wields this truth. It frequently feels as though Christianity constantly hammers home the idea that we are all fundamentally terrible people who must continually beg for forgiveness.

This rigid dogma can have devastating real-world consequences. I know of someone’s mother who was once told by her priest that she would ‘go to Hell’ if she did not carry her baby to term, even though medical doctors had explicitly warned her that an underlying heart condition meant giving birth would most likely kill her. It is this kind of militant, merciless application of theology that pushes me away.

I want to believe in a benevolent creator. I want to believe there is another existence after this one ends. But this endless litany of character flaws that religion brings up feels like some sort of impossible checklist designed to beat the individual down until they only see the negatives in themselves—negatives that, conveniently, only adherence to strict doctrines will solve.

When Lewis talks about temptation, it brings to mind the experience of trying to give up smoking, something I have attempted many times. You begin with the best of intentions, but as time passes, the craving grows, and it becomes progressively harder. It is only in the depths of that resistance that the real test begins, just as Lewis describes fighting against the wind rather than lying down. I understand, or at least I hope, that Lewis is speaking in broader terms about our weakness in the face of the tests life throws at us, rather than handing us another stick with which to beat ourselves.

It saddens me that faith and belief, which ought to be a source of quiet joy and comfort, are so often twisted into an oppressive checklist. I recognise I am not perfect. Frankly, I don’t want to be perfect.

Historical Footnote (19th September)

  • 1914: Lewis (age fifteen) is sent to William T. Kirkpatrick at Great Bookham, Surrey, to be tutored by him until March 1917. Kirkpatrick becomes the most influential teacher in Lewis's education.

  • 1955: Surprised by Joy: The Shape of My Early Life is published by Geoffrey Bles, London.


Why This Matters

There is a profound difference between acknowledging our human struggles and allowing religious doctrine to convince us we are inherently terrible. Recognising temptation is healthy; letting a theological checklist destroy our self-worth is not.


My Action for Today

Today, I will accept my imperfections without guilt. I will strive to be good, but I will refuse to measure my worth against an impossible, joyless checklist of religious perfection.

Reader Question

Do you find that the traditional religious focus on sin and temptation acts as a helpful guide, or does it feel like an exhausting, impossible checklist?

No comments:

Post a Comment