Friday, 11 September 2026

Day 51: Compound Interest, Small Acts, and When the World is 'Too Peopley' (11th September)

 



The Reading Today

Daily Theme: The "compound interest" of good and evil, small acts of kindness, and treating others with charity.
Source Material: Mere Christianity

My Reflection

Today’s passage was a wonderful surprise. It contained absolutely no intellectual jargon, complex philosophical concepts, or obscure references that left me scrambling for a dictionary. The entire passage made complete, immediate sense. It felt like I was back in the company of the C.S. Lewis I first came to know and appreciate.

Lewis writes about the "compound interest" of our daily choices. I strongly believe that small acts of kindness make a massive difference to people; we never truly know how they might impact someone's life. But Lewis also hits on a painful truth: it is infinitely harder to be ‘charitable’ to people you find difficult to like or understand. That is the real challenge.

I am currently in a situation where someone I thought was a friend has begun to exhibit behaviours with which I strongly disagree. This has inevitably led me to distance myself from them, creating a highly negative impression in my mind. I often sit and think that I need to rise above these feelings—to adopt a kinder, more charitable approach—but something stubborn inside me resists. I ask myself, 'Why should I, when they are so mean and horrible to me?'

While I have not made much progress in resolving this internal conflict, I do attempt to be ‘kinder’ toward them, holding onto the hope that the friendship might eventually return to what I once thought it was. Lewis’s assertion that good and evil increase at compound interest is a stark reminder that these little daily decisions matter. A small act of kindness today might just be the "capture of a strategic point" that Lewis describes, preventing a vicious circle of resentment.

Sometimes, I have to laugh when someone I know refuses to go out and interact with the wider world, describing it simply as being "too peopley." I can deeply relate to that attitude! But, as today's reading makes clear, navigating the messy, difficult business of interacting with others is just something we have to continuously work on in our daily lives.


Why This Matters

Our daily interactions are never neutral. Choosing to act with kindness, even when it feels unnatural or unearned, slowly changes our own hearts and prevents the "compound interest" of bitterness from taking root.

My Action for Today

Today, I will try to push past the feeling that the world is a bit "too peopley" and consciously choose to extend a small act of kindness, especially where it feels difficult.

Reader Question

How do you motivate yourself to be kind to someone when your natural instinct is to distance yourself from them?

No comments:

Post a Comment