The Reading Today
• Daily Theme: The illusion of "normal life," human resilience, and the drive to create during times of crisis.
• Source Material: "Learning in War-Time" (The Weight of Glory)
• Source Material: "Learning in War-Time" (The Weight of Glory)
My Reflection
Today’s passage explores human nature in the light of conflict. Lewis argues that there has never been a time of absolute peace, and if we had waited for perfect security in order to create, we would never have done so. The ideal of global peace often seems unobtainable—something of a fool’s errand.
While I am not educated enough to immediately grasp all of his historical references, exploring them reveals exactly what he means. When he mentions "Periclean Athens," he is referring to the fact that while Athens was fighting the devastating Peloponnesian War, they were simultaneously building the Parthenon. When he mentions soldiers who "comb their hair at Thermopylae," he is pointing to the 300 Spartans who, facing certain annihilation by a massive Persian army, calmly sat and combed their hair as a cultural ritual of dignity before the battle. Lewis is arguing that people have always found the space to hold onto their humanity, be it in the face of the scaffold or in a condemned cell.
To me, this reads as a profound response to our current state of global affairs. We constantly see different cultures focusing on their differences, grappling for resources, or violently spreading ideologies while eradicating any culture they disagree with. I was struck recently while watching a cleric talking about Sharia Law, a system which would see someone like me executed merely for being who I am.
It is a sobering thought. I thank the Heavens that I live in the West where attitudes are different. Human life has always been lived on the edge of a precipice, but I am deeply grateful to live in a society that allows me the safety to exist, to think, and to create, rather than simply survive.
Historical Footnote (3rd September)
1939: Britain and France declare war on Germany. (Lewis preached the sermon "Learning in War-Time" exactly in this context, addressing students who felt guilty for studying while Europe was plunging into war).
Today’s passage explores human nature in the light of conflict. Lewis argues that there has never been a time of absolute peace, and if we had waited for perfect security in order to create, we would never have done so. The ideal of global peace often seems unobtainable—something of a fool’s errand.
While I am not educated enough to immediately grasp all of his historical references, exploring them reveals exactly what he means. When he mentions "Periclean Athens," he is referring to the fact that while Athens was fighting the devastating Peloponnesian War, they were simultaneously building the Parthenon. When he mentions soldiers who "comb their hair at Thermopylae," he is pointing to the 300 Spartans who, facing certain annihilation by a massive Persian army, calmly sat and combed their hair as a cultural ritual of dignity before the battle. Lewis is arguing that people have always found the space to hold onto their humanity, be it in the face of the scaffold or in a condemned cell.
To me, this reads as a profound response to our current state of global affairs. We constantly see different cultures focusing on their differences, grappling for resources, or violently spreading ideologies while eradicating any culture they disagree with. I was struck recently while watching a cleric talking about Sharia Law, a system which would see someone like me executed merely for being who I am.
It is a sobering thought. I thank the Heavens that I live in the West where attitudes are different. Human life has always been lived on the edge of a precipice, but I am deeply grateful to live in a society that allows me the safety to exist, to think, and to create, rather than simply survive.
Historical Footnote (3rd September)
1939: Britain and France declare war on Germany. (Lewis preached the sermon "Learning in War-Time" exactly in this context, addressing students who felt guilty for studying while Europe was plunging into war).
Why This Matters
If we wait for the world to be perfectly peaceful and secure before we live fully, we will never live at all. Art, culture, and human dignity are not luxuries reserved for tranquil times; they are acts of profound defiance in the face of crisis.
My Action for Today
Today, I will actively appreciate the freedom and safety I have, and I will not put off my own creative pursuits while waiting for a "perfect" or tranquil moment that may never come.
Today, I will actively appreciate the freedom and safety I have, and I will not put off my own creative pursuits while waiting for a "perfect" or tranquil moment that may never come.
Reader Question
Do you find that times of global crisis make you want to retreat, or do they push you to appreciate and create beauty even more?
No comments:
Post a Comment